Wednesday, October 18, 2006

A Case of Arson & Mistaken Identity

I was walking to work this morning and randomly remembered something that happened to me a few years back when I was living in New Mexico. It made me chuckle so I thought I'd share.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Phone rings)

MJ: Hello?

Operator: You have a collect call from The New Mexico State Penitentiary. Will you accept the charges?

MJ: Huh? Um. Okay. Yeah.

Caller: Hi. Can I speak to MJ?

MJ: This is MJ.

Caller: Hi M. It's me. Doug.

MJ: Doug? Doug who? I don't know a Doug. I think you have the wrong number.

Doug: This is MJ, right? In New Mexico?

MJ: Yes, but I think you have the wrong MJ. There are quite a few of us.

Doug: No, it's me, Doug.

MJ: I'm tellin' you. I don't know you, Doug.

Doug: Come on. You remember.

MJ: Okay, Doug. How would I know you?

Doug: ....I set a lot of fires?

MJ: What?! YOUVE GOT THE WRONG MJ!

Doug: Oh, really? Oh, I'm so sorry. Okay then. I'll let you go.

MJ: Okay. Bye, Doug.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best part of this story was when, a week later, I checked my mail and found a letter from Doug at the penitentiary. He said he was really sorry to bother me and he enclosed three dollars to reimburse me for the collect call.

Who ever said all arsonists are bad guys?

No comments: