Wednesday, October 18, 2006

My Best Interests?

As you all know, I've been a bit, shall we say, dissatisfied with my current job as of late. I decided to rant as much as I needed on myspace and then move on and be proactive. I applied for a boatload of jobs last week and submitted my resume to two staffing agencies. My mom also managed to get me connected with a very nice woman in a very high-profile firm (yeah, mom!). I spoke with her, explained my situation, and somehow landed an interview with her firm for this afternoon. Sweet.

This morning I also met with this guy Jake from B.H. Staffing, who seemed, at the conclusion of our meeting, like he was my new BFF. I thought while leaving, "Jake knows what's best. Jake has my back. I feel better now."

Well, as it turns out, Jake is a backstabbing son of a bitch.

He asked me during our session whether I'd independently applied to any firms and I informed him that, yes, in fact, I had an interview lined up for this afternoon. He asked some details and I gladly provided them, not knowing he would turn around and use them to stick a knife into my spine.

I get to my interview this afternoon, all jazzed up in my new suit jacket and heels (god, I'm such a freakin' yuppie), and sit down in the conference room to await the attorney who will be interviewing me. My mom's friend comes in to meet with me briefly in the meantime.

GET THIS. She asked me if I am working with a staffing agency as well and I said yes. "B.H. Staffing?" "Yes." Then she proceeds to tell me that I need to be more careful with how much information I give out because that bitch ass motherfucking Jake called her after I left his office this morning.

He called and asked her, "Wouldn't you be more comfortable hiring someone with more experience for the position?" Maybe I can help you find someone more suited blah, blah, blah.

WHAT?!?!?!?! You've got to be kidding me! Who the hell is this punk working for? Because clearly, he isn't working for me. He's working for his own selfish self and doesn't give a crap that he may have jeopardized something that could be really awesome for me.

So, I called that jerkface jerk Jake (Jake the Jerkface Jerk, hereafter, JJJ) and we had the following conversation:

(phone ringing)

JJJ: This is Jake.

MJ: Hi Jake, this is MJ. We met earlier today.

JJJ: Hi MJ. What's up?

MJ: I just had my interview with X & X, and it went really well.

JJJ: That's great.

MJ: Yeah, except, the woman I met with told me you called her this morning and asked her if she wouldn't be more comfortable with someone who is more qualified for the position.

JJJ: (silence)

MJ: So, I won't be working with you any longer. Thank you for meeting with me today.

JJJ: I'm sorry about that, MJ, but I was just looking out for your best interests.

MJ: Take care, Jake.

JJJ: Bye.

I think I handled that with grace and dignity, considering what I wanted to do. I wanted to storm over there and kick him in the nuts. That's what I wanted to do. Bitch-ass-punk-face-stupid-prick. My best interests? I think it'd be in my best interests to go over there and put the smack down on his bitch ass.

Anywhoooo….my interview went really fantastically well, despite his deliberate attempt to sabotage it. We shall see what comes of it. Keep your phalanges crossed!

No comments: