Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Snippets I've Enjoyed

While rummaging through an old journal, I found the following quotes which I transcribed from Tom Robbins' book, Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates, during the summer of 2000. Enjoy.
_________________________________________________________
The pumpkin is a faceless head, its true identity know only to the Halloween knife and certain deputies of the pie police.
*
Domesticity shrinks the soul of a beast.
*
People of zee wurl, relax.
*
Her eyes were like chocolate-dipped cherry bombs with their fuses lit.
*
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
*
None of us is much more than a pimple on the ass-end of creation, so let's not get carried away with ourselves....Accept that you're a pimple and try to keep a lively sense of humor about it.
*
The sun rapidly resumed wilting them with its nuclear halitosis.
*
In a universe where flux is fundamental, it can be argued that even change for the worse is preferable to no change at all.
*
Extinction is a consequence of overspecialization.
*
They awoke the next morning wound in the rusty anchor chains of hangover.
*
No one would ever blast a hole in the magic tutu of her childhood.
*
No artist worthy of the name gave a flying fuck whether or not any special interest group--miniscule or multitudinous, benign or malicious--took offense of their heartfelt creations.
*
The people who get to name things have psychological ownership of those things.
*
The universe is organized anarchy.
*
I like to drink just enough to change the temperature in the brain room.
______________________________________________________
I adore Tom Robbins. I actually got to see him in New Mexico during the tour for Villa Incognito. He read an excerpt and during one of his pregnant pauses, I couldn't restrain myself and shouted "I love you Tom!" He looked right at me (at least I think he did--he was wearing dark sunglasses) and said "I love you too, baby."

I nearly died.

No comments: